Friday, November 10

Getting Your Five-A-Day?

I have to admit the magnitude of my nerdiness when I say how much I am enjoying reading this REFERENCE book. Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini is the perfect mix of history and how-to with an enticing assortment of classic and unusual recipes. While it doesn't seem like the type of book you would read cover to cover, I am finding myself doing just that - although admittedly I am only at bitter melon. Reading each item's "vegetable biography" fills me with renewed interest in cooking with it, and makes even the basic vegetables intriguing. Although I am sure Tim will question the inclusion of three different beet recipes in our weeks' menu.

While this book is helping our household to reach the Five-A-Day goals, the CDC and Produce for Better Health Foundation have announced a change in the longstanding Five-A-Day campaign for the rest of you all. The new slogan will be Fruits & Veggies - More Matters and is scheduled to be rolled out in early 2007. Only 20% of us meet the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans minimum five servings of fruits and vegetables currently. While I agree with the sentiment that increased fruit and veggie intake is always beneficial, it seems like there is more room for complacency with this slogan. It seems like if you are only eating one serving to start with, eating more is still not quite that good. But on the other hand you don't want to overwhelm the people with unobtainable goals. It just verifies how hard public health policy is.

No comments: