Saturday, March 31
Tim has better pics documenting the incident here.
Thursday, March 29
Matilda starts her day by listening to several rousing versions of Happy Birthday over the speakerphone. She was very attentive (read appreciative) to each birthday call from all the family and friends.
While it is not uncommon to be caught pant-less on your birthday, Matilda was found in that state much earlier in the day than typical.
For her daily new skill, she mastered the art of climbing off the rocking dog at Tot Time, after being placed their repeatedly by her mother.
She took time to stop and smell the blooming trees with Grammy. This pursed lips face, accompanied by a rapid in and out sucky-sounding breath is Matilda's version of smelling.
Yummy burrito for lunch with Daddy in Tarzana.
A hard nap to re-charge for the evenings' celebrating. She is sprawled out here after falling asleep in the Ergo on a walk. I dumped her on the bed and then joined her for almost 2 hours repose!
Matilda got her favorite food, soup, for her birthday dinner. And a fun round of Peek-a-boo.
The obligatory cake shot. She was too in awe of the candle to even attempt blowing.
This dietitian's daughter had cake four days in a row. Not that anyone would be counting.
And then some delicious soapy bathwater to wash down the chocolate raspberry mousse cake (from our favorite neighborhood bakery).
And finally another round of present opening. She showed her appreciation for this thoughtful wrapping paper with her panty-dog face. We took her presents slow so she could enjoy it and might finally be done now after a full week of nightly presents. That is until we visit the Arizona family who will undoubtedly spoil her more in two weeks.
I thought I should share this good shot of Matilda's top teeth from lunch yesterday. These two broke through earlier this month but are really starting to show now. She has just figured out how to use them and can now take bites of food. Although poor Floppy Bunny has to live in fear now as she likes to gnaw on his ear knots.
Wednesday, March 28
Daddy cowers in fear.
Monday, March 26
Soon we will have bedsores from all the couch time today and will get more photographic evidence of the weekend up for your viewing pleasure. But for now, click on over to see great photos from Adam and Kyle of Matilda's party. Thanks guys!
Saturday, March 24
Thursday, March 22
RD Mama stands amidst shoes, empty hangers and a pile of clothes modelling one dress while holding up another. Dear Husband sits nearby, feigning interest in this decision making process.
RD Mama: This flowered dress is o.k, but I know I'll see pictures afterwards and be unhappy about my fat upper arms.
Dear Husband: Soothing, non-committal comment.
RD Mama: And really like this one but the pattern is pretty wild and I think looking back at Matilda's 1st birthday photos in 20 years I'll be horrified by it.
Dear Husband: Go with the flowered one, in twenty years your arms will be fatter and then you'll be like "Wow, look how thin my arms were there"
Sunday, March 18
Saturday, March 17
Matilda & her Dad had fun in their green today. I took this shot in an attempt to capture the curly heads in my front seat. Here we were giving Matilda a break from the car seat after many hours of running around. We had a busy day today with errands, birthday prep, taxes, but managed to squeeze in some fun with a quick trip to the zoo where it was Reptile Appreciation Day. I am not sure this guy really appreciated being stuffed for the occasion though.
Friday, March 16
For a few minutes anyways. Once the raging hunger was satiated, she got all punchy and of course had to start shaking the bag to display her happiness. "Who left these O's everywhere?"
Thursday, March 15
Tuesday, March 13
Sunday, March 11
Saturday, March 10
Friday, March 9
- walked three feet
- slept all night (9 hours straight, possibly a record)
- played with Grandma while Mom got on a treadmill for the first time in a year
- was perplexed by her first trip (awake) through a car wash
- showed Mama a top tooth that is almost through
- played with (ate) her first snowball
Thursday, March 8
Wednesday, March 7
Monday, March 5
Here is one online recommendation we won't be doing for Matilda's upcoming festivities:
- "Mark the moment. Dress your baby in an adult-size outfit. She'll swim in it, but you can save the clothes and bring it out for a photo from year to year — and watch how she grows!"
I can just see the 15-year-old Matilda unwillingly putting on an out-of-style ensemble for the annual torture photo. It gives "birthday suit" a whole new meaning.
Friday, March 2
1. Spend 50% of your time fiddling with the water that drips from the faucet while the shower is running: try to pinch it with your fat little thumb and forefinger, squat down very unsteadily (giving your mother a heart attack) to try and lap the drips off with your tongue, hold your hand underneath to catch a pool of water, etc.
2. Spend the remaining 50% of your time ripping the suction cup fish off the wall. Remember, take no pleasure in this job, just do it methodically as if it were your purpose in life. Stay vigilant for Mama; she is always trying to hang those fish back up. In fact, I think I see a blue one now.