Sunday, November 8

Porter Food

Matilda was never much for smushy baby food. By the time she really got into eating, at 9 months, we could just cut up really small for her from our plates so I never got into the full swing of making baby food. I think only once I made a batch of pureed something and froze it into little portions for her, before I realized it was a waste. Porter, on the other-hand, is our little eater. He loves just about any food he has tried. He had a strong reaction to peas (as documented in that video from last week), but has since come around. In fact, if you come at him with just about anything (spoon, toy, medical instrument, finger), his response is to open his mouth and try to eat the item.
Porter is eating about three cubes of food, three times per day now. I was limiting him to only 1-2 cubes per meal for a while, until the pediatrician convinced me to stop holding back. He almost always finishes everything we offer him with no encouragement. I am now in the full swing of making food for him and have a freezer full of little cubes of baby food. It is getting fun as his repertoire of food is getting larger & I am getting less strict with the 1-new-item-every-three-days rule. My entire trip to the farmers market I spend thinking about what things to buy for Porter to eat, with the rest of us just as an afterthought. New items up this week: fennel, roasted cauliflower, asparagus, stewed prunes, apples, maybe some beans?

Friday night was the first time I fed him the same thing that we were eating: root vegetables roasted with olive oil and pepper.
I just pureed them up with a little added water since it was quite thick for him.
Porter LOVED the roasted veggies, and ate more in one sitting than ever before. I image that very soon we will forego the separate baby purees and he'll be chowing down on anchovies and tofu stir fry right along side Matilda.

No comments: