Saturday, October 18

Running on Empty

For the past few days Matilda has astounded me with her lack of appetite for either food or sleep. She's has been skipping naps, waking up hours earlier than usual and picking at every meal. While this normally correlates with an illness of some sort, she seems to be feeling totally fine. 

Yesterday after she decided to forgo a nap we set off for the library to fill the time and refresh our book pile. M RAN the entire way there, 5 blocks. At several points I had to jog myself to keep up with her pace. She would hold my hand for the crosswalks, but maintained her pace dragging me across the street. It was quite impressive to witness, especially since usually I can get her to walk to whole way only by cajoling her with little games and incentives to walk just a bit further. 

In the library she was still super charged and we lasted only long enough for me to grab a few books before we had to start off on our return run home. Not only did M run the entire way back, but she engaged almost every pedestrian we passed, bewildering most of them. To a well dressed business lady in heels she yelled "She is a woman! Her have BIG shoes!" As she ran towards two young women in athletic clothes Matilda yelled, pointing at them, "Sarah's parents! Sarah's parents." The girls laughed, not understanding what Matilda was saying, and passed along unaware of just how little resemblance they had to either of Sarah's parents. The madness continued with the pinnacle being a guy sitting on his stoop who Matilda waved hello to, then turned to me saying, "He is a boy. Him have a penis." This is not uncommon lately, as Matilda is quite obsessed with classifying everyone by gender, but thankfully I think we were out of earshot. 

No comments: