Monday, July 26

Reliable Source

One of my favorite things about our gal these days is her imagination. Matilda is so good at fantasy play and making up stories and spends a good chunk of each day creating elaborate games, scenarios and tales.

Another part of her personality that's becoming more apparent is that she always knows the answer to your question. Even when she doesn't. If you asked a closed ended question she will say "yes" if she is uncertain what the actual answer is. If you ask an open ended question she'll give you some answer but not necessarily an accurate one. (Sometimes she will say "I don't know" or "I don't remember." Especially if she is not 100%. We usually have to prod her to guess something.)

Combine these two elements and you are bound to get some dodgy information. Last week she told the babysitter ( a new one that doesn't know us well) that I am an airplane mechanic. The babysitter had a vague recollection of me mentioning the hospital. On Thursday when I asked about school snacks she reported they had chocolate sprinkle popsicles, mashed potatoes and potato chips. I really hope this is not true. Recently she told us an elaborate story about how our regular sitter made tortillas with flour and water and cooked them on the griddle for their lunch quesadillas. It turns out the sitter told M a story of how her father used to make them fresh tortillas growing up, but no actual tortillas were fabricated in our household.

One consistent tale she tells that is totally fine with me is when Tim asks her at night if we watered the plants. She always says yes. The answer is almost always no. I can never manage to remember our patio plants so I really appreciated her covering for me.

No comments: