Saturday, October 17

Ruby Slippers

Matilda got a key ingredient for her Halloween costume tonight. We have been hoarding these shoes for a while now and I finally couldn't resist giving them to her any longer. She was beside herself with excitement. I suspect I will soon regret my haste in giving them to her since we had to do serious negotiations over bathing tonight since bath-time = shoe-removal-time. When she was finally in the bath, she saw Tim adding her new shoes to the mountain of shoes that grows by our front door and yelled, "NO, DADDY, don't put my new shoes in the pile! Put them in a NICE CLEAN SPOT!"

As I was typing this just now, Tim came out of her room to get a drink (5o minutes into trying to get her to sleep so far) and M popped out, too, carrying the shoes and saying "Look how nice they sparkle out here in the light!" This evening Matilda also was recommending to Tim that he get some white slippers to wear. She's got it in her head that he will be Glinda the Good Witch for Halloween so fancy white slippers do seem like the obvious choice. I foresee lots of battles over not wearing the slippers to grungy places in the next two weeks as we attempt to keep them pristine for the 31st.
Speaking of battles, this grungy dress is one I chose not to fight today. It is a very nice, light pink, linen dress that we got as a hand-me-down with a big stain on the front. Matilda discovered it yesterday and loves it. She's been wearing it for two days straight and it really shows with all the grime covering it. I suspect she'll want the dress again first thing tomorrow but maybe we can derail that idea by pitching for something to better complement the slippers.

No comments: