Thursday, October 15

Dumber Than I Look?

Today I took Matilda & Porter to In n' Out for lunch. Tim had other things to do & while we were out running errands I decided to indulge us a bit. We ordered our burgers & found a table during the hectic lunch hour. The table next to us was occupied by a self-described great-grandmother & her dining companion (possibly daughter). They were terribly friendly with the kids & quite chatty. The great-grandmother mentioned to me several times how I "was brave to take them both out to eat alone" and asked if I did it often. She went on about how Matilda was a good eater, her rain boots were so cute, Porter was such a big boy, etc. As they were standing to leave she said again how I was so brave to take them out alone, and then she said, "Or maybe you're just not that bright?"

Her comment totally cracked me up. She said it in the way of some old ladies who just say anything they want regardless of decorum. I might not be so bright but I don't see how I am risking much by bringing two kids alone to a fast food restaurant? The worst scenario I can imagine: both kids totally lose their shit, I carry them both out of the restaurant and leave our $7.58 lunch on the table; a few strangers get a chuckle and we survive the episode after a nurse in the car & a second peanut-butter-sandwich-lunch at home. Not the worst thing that could happen to a mom?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This episode is hilarious - I wish I had been there with you! Love, Frusl