Thursday, November 6

Our Baby

I haven't really posted about it here, but most of you who know me outside of the internet already know that Matilda will be a big sister sometime next spring. It has been interesting explaining to her about my pregnancy and hearing all the things she comes up with. 

She started adamantly saying "Mama has a baby in her belly!" weeks before we told her. For about 2 weeks she was content with my response that "Well, you used to be in my belly when you were tiny." Then she started insisting that "Mama has a baby in her belly NOW!" when I would try to feed her that line. We saw our pediatrician in the middle of this phase and she commiserated that it was uncanny and that she heard stories like this all the time. (Even that her own daughter had pulled a similar thing.) When we finally did admit to Matilda that there was a baby growing in my belly M claimed it was a baby girl (she is not budging on this stance) and stated that she wanted to sit on the couch and hold her. 

Tonight at bedtime we were all three laying in bed recounting the day, including the names of kids she had played with at the playground. Matilda then asked, "Our baby's name?" I thought it was such a sweet thing to hear since she seemed to have come up with the phrase herself; I don't recall referencing "our baby" and mostly say "the new baby" to her. M then went on to claim the baby had "crawled up in my belly" to grow more. M was also trying to kick the baby (i.e. my belly) because she thinks it is hysterical the baby kicks me sometimes.

No comments: