Wednesday, March 19

My Little Bag Lady

For weeks now I have been trying to do a post about Matilda and her new pants but never remember to take a picture. While they appear to be regular old blue jeans like Gigi is wearing, they have quite the funny story behind them.Whenever the building manager has repairs to do in our apartment he doesn't get around to them until late in the day. Time to make dinner? He will be at your door, ready to do the work he has been promising for weeks. Company coming for dinner in 2 hours? He thinks it is the perfect time to paint that corner he's been meaning to get to.

Recently this happened with a major repair we'd been waiting 5 weeks for, so Matilda and I obliged by scooting out to a coffee shop for a treat of steamed milk & honey. We spent 30 minutes or so entertaining/annoying our fellow patrons with Matilda's antics and then headed out for a ramble down the block. Before leaving I made M wave bye bye to the local platinum blond homeless lady who was sitting near us and was particularly entertained by our dialog.

We walked slowly, inspecting each fallen leaf and rock, choosing a select few for our pockets. We had made it almost 1 block away when I realized our blond homeless woman was running after us without her normal caravan of bags. She was upon us and handed Matilda something before I registered what was going on. "New pants for you sweetie," she said to M. The lady quickly reassured me they were clean and hustled off.

The Osh Kosh blue jeans were indeed clean, but the truly astounding part is that they were the right size, and in really good shape. We've added them into the rotation and get a good chuckle each time we put them on. Let's hope someday Matilda isn't too horrified to hear I dressed her in clothes from a homeless lady. I mean on the "scale of homeless ladies" she IS at the "normal" end. Had it been the other lady in our hood I can only hope I would have scooped M up before she took the proffered pee-soaked item.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

!!!! Terrific post!

-Adam