Friday, December 8

Gifts From the Hearth


I attended my much-anticipated cooking class last weekend and it did not disappoint. For the first few minutes I thought, "I don't know about this." I was feeling like it wasn't worth the steep price and that I could just figure out all the recipes on my own. But once I dove it I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. First we all sat around the gorgeous professional kitchen (very disappointed I forgot my camera) while the instructor reviewed the recipes we would be preparing: Grand Marnier Biscotti Bites, Graham Crackers, Homemade Marshmallows, Scottish Shortbread, Kansas City Style Barbecue Sauce, Cranberry Raspberry Preserves, Bourbon Hot Fudge Sauce, Braided Christmas Bread Wreath, Golden Pecan Brittle, Sugared Spiced Nuts, and Spicy Paprika Cashews.

My partner and I were assigned the only recipe that intimidated me: Braided Christmas Bread Wreath. I generally shy away from yeast bread as my last effort results in brick-like loaves. However, it turned out to be a great challenge. The bread came out wonderfully even though we rushed it - both resting periods for the dough were shortened from 1 hour to 10 minutes! I am sure if I had not tackled this recipe in class I wouldn't be brave enough to try it again at home. And it gives me new confidence to make my mom's traditional Christmas morning rolls. Just in time since we won't be seeing her this Christmas so there is no chance to con her into making them for us like always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RD, I think I will look for some of thosoo cook lessons too. G-pop