Friday, July 21

One Year Ago Today


One year ago today Tim & I found out we were pregnant. Early that week I remember feeling like I thought I was pregnant with a few of the telltale signs, but I wasn't sure. I thought I might just be tricking myself into feeling those early pregnancy symptoms. Tim & I had agreed we would wait until the 21st to take a pregnancy test because we didn't want to be over-anxious, testing too soon and get a false-negative result. That Thursday morning I woke up at 4:30a.m. to pee (the classic over-active bladder symptom) and since I remember hearing the pregnancy hormones are more concentrated in your first morning pee I thought I should test then. Plus I was too antsy to wait.

I took the test and then stood there the indicated number of minutes with my back turned to the test. Although the line looks fairly solid in the photo, I remember feeling like it was too faint and I didn't quite believe it. I could barely contain my excitement. I left the bedroom so I wouldn't wake Tim until a more reasonable hour. I really cannot recall what I did to pass the time, I think I just sat and reflected on the impending changes and excitement. I think I must have sat right outside the bedroom door because the first stirring I heard I went busting back in to lie next to Tim in bed. As he woke up I remember him giving me a funny look - I am sure because I was sitting there, wide awake, staring at him with my own funny expression. He immediately asked if I had taken the test and I confirmed his suspicions. He was so sleepy and seemed to be unable to process it all. He seemed even more excited than I was once he had a few minutes to process the information. We both walked around at work that entire day like we had the biggest secret in the world with goofy smiles on our faces. It felt unreal for quite some time since we didn't tell anyone for weeks.

It is strange now to think back about how we felt that day and to know that Matilda is the person we were expecting.

No comments: